The Law Office of

Christopher D. Wasson

Grandparent Visitation Rights Attorney

Ultimately when two parents divorce or if one parent dies unexpectedly, a grandparent’s right to have visitation with their grandchildren doesn’t go away. Grandparents do have rights to seek Court orders in California to visit their grandchildren even when their relations with either the ex-spouse of the child or a surviving parent is strained or non-existent (for any reason). When this occurs, it’s important to have a grandparent visitation rights attorney such as Christopher Wasson by your side to grant your wish of visiting your grandchildren. He has represented clients in Encino, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Studio City, Northridge, and Agoura Hills who are seeking visitation with their grandchildren after divorce or death of their son or daughter.
If you’re a grandparent and want information about visitation with your grandchildren, a grandparent visitation rights attorney can help you to understand these rights. Under California law, a grandparent can ask the court for reasonable time with their grandchild or grandchildren. To give them this visitation, the court has to find that there was a pre-existing relationship between the grandparent and the grandchildren that created a bond. Next, they must consider the best interest of the child in having this visitation.
This type of visitation rights cannot be filed for if the parents are still married. However, exceptions include if the parents are living separately, one of the parents joins the petition for visitation, a parent’s whereabouts aren’t known, the child doesn’t live with either of his parents, or if the grandchild was adopted by a stepparent.

Protecting Rights of Grandparents in Woodland Hills, CA

A grandparent who wants to ask the court to order visitation with a grandchild can file a petition in California family court. It can be difficult to figure out how to do this, but with the help of a grandparent visitation rights attorney such as Christopher Wasson who has experience filing these petitions and understands the process completely. He will first determine if there is an open family court case, which helps make the process easier. The other party is served, and a court hearing or modification hearing is scheduled. After this hearing and a judge makes a decision, he will sign a court order. This will be the visitation rights plan to be followed by California law.

Contact Our Woodland Hills Grandparents Visitation Rights Attorneys About Your Case

If you are a grandparent in Southern California who is having trouble arranging to see his or her grandchildren with the surviving parents or the ex-spouse, contact Christopher Wasson today to arrange for a consultation to learn what rights you have. During this important consultation, you can discuss your case and have any questions answered you need. Christopher Wasson has represented clients throughout Southern California: Woodland Hills, Calabasas, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Studio City, Northridge, Agoura Hills, Westlake Village, Porter Ranch, Chatsworth, Winnetka, Van Nuys, Los Angeles, San Fernando, Chatsworth, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Torrance, and Ventura. To talk to Christopher Wasson, call his law office toll-free at 888-506-9711.